How You Should
Handle A Slip And Fall
If you or a loved one suffered a slip and fall at a business or public space, the business owner or the administrators of the public space may be liable for damages which resulted from your injury.
While the owners of the area where you slipped and fell are not always liable, there are a variety of circumstances where they may be responsible in some way for the incident, in which case a lawsuit can be pursued against them to compensate you for your injuries.
What Kind Of Case Is A Slip And Fall?
A slip and fall case is a personal injury lawsuit in which the plaintiff suffered a fall at a property owned or administered by the defendant.
If it can be demonstrated that the owner or administrator of the space acted negligently or created an unsafe environment for walking, the plaintiff in the case may be entitled to compensation.
Compensation could be to cover medical expenses, loss of wages, and pain and suffering which resulted from the incident.
Some of the most common causes of a slip and fall case include:
- Slippery walking conditions: If the owner of the location failed to clear walkways of potentially slippery walking conditions resulting water, soap, oil, ice, or anything else which rendered the ground too slippery to provide proper traction, they may be liable for damages in a slip and fall case.
- Poor lighting: If the owner of the location did not provide adequate lighting for visitors to navigate while walking, they may be liable for damages in a slip and fall case.
- Unsafe walking conditions: If the walkway had potholes, uneven surfaces, rocks, dramatic changes in terrain or elevation, the owner of the location may be liable for damages in a slip and fall case.
- Obstacles: If the owner of the location failed to clear the walkway of unusual obstacles, such as large stones, boxes, equipment, or other items, they may be liable for damages in a slip and fall case.
In most instances, the most important determination is if a reasonable individual would be capable of identifying the situation as hazardous and being able to avoid the issue and if the party responsible for the property had enough time to identify and improve the walking conditions.
There are many types of incident which can lead to a slip and fall case. If you suffered a slip and fall but are uncertain if the property’s owner or administrator is liable, schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer who can assess your case from a legal perspective.
How To File A Slip And Fall Claim?
The best way to file a slip and fall claim is to seek representation from a qualified personal injury attorney who will be able to assess your case and, if necessary, file a lawsuit.
You will need to collect relevant documents and information, such as:
- Date and location of incident
- Names and contact information of the parties responsible for the area where the incident happened
- Any medical bills or other expenses which resulted from the incident
- Contact information for any witnesses who may have seen the incident occur
What Are The Most Common Injuries After A
Slip And Fall Accident?
A slip and fall incident can result in a wide variety of injuries, some minor and some devastating.
Here are the more common injuries typically suffered after a slip and fall:
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken or fractured hips
- Head injuries resulting in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Sprains and fractures (such as wrists and knees)
- Shoulder injuries (such as dislocations)
Why Do You Need A Lawyer To Help Prove Your Slip And Fall Claim?
Although a slip and fall case might seem simple, it is still best to have a qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer on your side.
Without the help of a good attorney, you may make simple mistakes in filing your claim which may result in extensive delays. You may not understand how to present the proper evidence to prove your claim. You may not understand the language of court documents or how to best present your claim.
For all of these reasons and more, the quickest and most effective way to get your slip and fall case handled properly is to hire a competent personal injury attorney.
Most personal injury lawyers work on commission. This means that you pay nothing out of pocket for their representation. The attorney will be compensated with a percentage of the settlement or judgment when your case is finished.
Contact Our Experienced Slip And Fall Lawyers For Help
Want to get your case handled by the best? We have over twenty years handling slip and fall and other personal injury cases.
In that time, we’ve seen just about everything. We’ve helped hundreds of clients get the compensation and justice they deserve.
Don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation to get your case under way immediately.
Slip And Fall FAQS
How long does it take to settle a slip and fall case?
Depending on the nature of the case, slip and fall cases can take anywhere from a few months to multiple years to settle. It mostly depends on how easy or difficult the slip and fall claim is to prove. Some slip and fall cases where there is clear liability are settled out of court in a matter of weeks. Other cases which go to trial can take years to settle.
Are slip and fall cases hard to win?
It depends heavily on the nature of the incident itself. Many business owners or property administrators are willing to rapidly settle the case out of court if there is a clear liability. If there are many questions about who is responsible for the slip and fall case, it can severely complicate the case and affect how difficult it is to win.
Very competent attorney. Very serious case. I was guilty but wasn’t taking the states incarceration deal so did an open plea today. If I was innocent I’d like to have used him in trial. Scales of justice were balanced.
Thomas Grajek did an awesome job communicating with me and my my family. He handled this case profesionally, is well liked in the court room. If your seeking legal help i highly recommend him.
Mr. Grajek got my case dismissed so fast, I did not even have to go to court. I was referred to him by a friend of mine that said he was the best lawyer they have ever dealt with. He explained the strategy he was going to use for my defense by using terms that made the court process easy for me to understand. He started working on my case immediately and my charges were dismissed in less then 2 weeks. He is very nice and professional, but also aggressive and smart, which was just what I needed.